Saturday, January 16, 2010

Good-bye to another dear old friend...


Noah has been such a wonderful member of our family for many years. He came to live with us when he was two, but I've known him his whole life.

He was almost 13 and was really starting to be in bad shape. The last week he just laid perfectly still and would rarely get up, even to eat or drink.

The last two days he would lay there and start to shiver and then whine. It was so hard to see.

I took him to the doctor today and he was running a temperature a little over 103. The doctor wanted to do lots of tests to see what was wrong. She was leaning toward the possibility of cancer. Unfortunately, we could not afford to have so many tests only to tell us what was wrong. The ultimate decision was made that he was suffering and he was old.

Jacob had gone with me. He was brave and pretends like he's not that upset but his face was red and his eyes watery. I stayed with Noah and held his head, kissed him, and he lifted his head and licked my chin. He then laid his head back down and I held onto him. The doctor finally said he was gone. He never shivered, twitched, or breathed out, nothing, just sleep. The doctor said it was obvious he was ready to go.

Unlike when we lost Annie, we decided to bring him home. Jacob and I had just pulled in the driveway when Caleb, my oldest pulled in behind us. He had been out all day and was returning to get ready to go to work. Unfortunately, he had no idea we had even taken Noah to the vet.

He checked with his work and got an okay to come in later and to work later. Caleb and Jacob carried the box to the backyard while I chose where Noah would rest. I chose the spot where he would often lay. The three of us then dug the grave and buried him.

This is so very different from when we lost Annie. I now find myself looking out the back door staring at his spot.

Lily, our other dog, seems confused. She has run around the house looking and has gone to all the places in the backyard where he would lay. She's now curled up looking a little lonely; she's never been without him for the year that she's been with us.

We will miss you sweet Noah.

1 comment:

Lorren Says... said...

I'm so sorry, Leah..I know this is hard. :(